House Number Project

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusmail

We’ve been living in our house now for over 4 years, and in all that time the house has been without an actual house number anywhere in site. People trying to find our house have had to rely on looking at the neighbour’s house to figure out what number we are. So I’ve been promising my wife for years that I would make a nice set of numbers to fit to the front of the house to stop all the confusion, but up to now, there’s just always been something else more important to do 🙂

So when I finally got a bit of spare time (and more importantly a bit of motivation in the form of my shiny new bandsaw) I decided to design and build a nice door number.

This was actually a pretty simple project. The first step was to print out some numbers at the right size and in a font we liked which I would use as a template to cut out some numbers using the bandsaw.

The number printed onto paper in the right size and font


I had a whole load of Iroko wood which I had ordered for a garden table project that never ended up being built. Iroko is a very durable wood and does not require regular treatment with oil or varnish when used outdoors, so it seemed an ideal choice for this project. I cut and planed a few pieces down to appropriate size and I used spray glue to attach the printed numbers to the boards.

I used spray glue to attach the paper to the timber

The glued numbers ready for cutting

I used the bandsaw to cut the outlines of the numbers out (Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos of that, I must have been enjoying myself too much 😉 ). For the centre parts of the zero and four, I had to cut by hand using a coping saw as its not possible to do these on a bandsaw. As for the mount plate, I simply cut small rounds into the corners to add a nice visual touch.

All pieces cut

The next steps were to round over the mount plate edges on the router table with a roundover bit and then a whole lot of sanding (not much fun).

Using a table mounted round-over bit to give the edges a nicer look

The rounded over edges

And a lot of dull and often tricky sanding

That was pretty much the build complete. The only other task was to drill some very small holes into the mount to allow tiny screws to hold the numbers onto the mount. I didn’t want to use glue simply because it would erode over time outside. Then it was just a case of applying the finish. I used a few coats of dark oil-based stain on the mount and a lighter colour on the numbers themselves to ensure good contrast to make the numbers easy to read.

Dark oil stain drying on the mount

Finished parts ready for attachment

Attached parts


All that was left was to attach the number to the outside of the house and the job was done.

Finished numbers fitted to the font of the house